Thursday, January 28, 2010

E-reader field getting crowded

A couple of new companies have announced that they will be manufacturing e-readers. Acer announced that they will be releasing a reader in the summer and Apple rolled out their new tablet computer that will also double as a reader with the unfortunate name of iPad. Click here for a funny take on the name and here for an upcoming trademark dispute. This is added to the Sony Reader, Kindle, and Barnes and Noble's "The Nook."

Personally, I own a Sony Reader. Mine is several years old, so it doesn't have all the nice wireless options that the newer model's have. However it has excellent battery life. Usually I can go about three weeks between charges. The Reader has a really clean design. I have always thought the Amazon Kindle looks clunky. I currently have about 150 books in memory. When I purchased the book, they made 100 classic books available for free (with a little work, I could have gotten these books from Project Gutenberg.) It is fun to think that I am carrying in one little device a bookshelf full of books.

I am finding more and more publishers are making electronic versions of their books available. I was able to find many books on my list that weren't there before. I think it is finally getting to the point where electronic readers are as compelling as paper books. For those of you, who haven't seen the e-ink displays that are typically used by these readers, you owe yourself a trip to try one out.

No comments:

Post a Comment